Sunday, June 6, 2010

VINTAGE JEWELRY IS LIKE VINTAGE CARS - RARE, SPECIAL, ESPECIALLY IF IT'S CARTIER OR TIFFANY

My daughter and her boyfriend are looking for their first car. Of course, what they like they can't afford and what they can afford isn't necessarily what they like or want.

It's a bit like that with jewelry, isn't  it. There's always newer, bigger, brighter and more expensive jewelry on the market. And women do so love to have the latest thing or follow the newest trend. But unless we're rich, we can't always afford what we want.

I suppose that's why I like vintage jewelry, especially designer signed. If it's a famous designer, like a Cartier or Tiffany, it's still going to be expensive, but comparatively speaking, it's affordable.

Just like today: hubby and I went out for a walk and stopped to look at cars. I spotted a Mercedes I liked. It was sold. Just as well. I couldn't afford it even if it wasn't. Then I saw another car I really liked, a BMW. It was a 2000 model but in nice shape, and being 10 years old, quite affordable. And for me, there was something so appealing about both cars: older but classy. Well made. Recognized names for quality. No, none of the fancy modern gizmos like GPS or something into which I could stick an ipod, but one lovely car. Again, a bit like that vintage 14k gold diamond Tiffany watch shown above: older, recently serviced but ever beautiful, elegant, classy and relatively affordable.

I wore that gorgeous watch to one of my daughter's shows last night (she's an entertainer). I don't usually wear something we purchase to sell, but I just had to have the experience of wearing a gold Tiffany watch for once in my life. It felt great! I kept looking at it, admiring it on my wrist, checking to see it was still keeping perfect time (it was) and secretly hoping every other woman around me might notice it LOL! Do  you ever do that?

Now on my other wrist, I wore the incredibly beautiful vintage 18k  Cartier Double C motif bangle/bracelet shown below (also a very new addition to our shops:


Yes, I really went all out! With the Tiffany watch on one wrist and this fantastic  rather rare Cartier diamond bangle on the other wrist, I felt, well, special! I could never had afforded them new when they were new, but now, being vintage, while they still cost a lot, they were far more affordable. For just one night in my life, I felt like the rich and famous ie.. wearing valuable designer pieces of fine jewelry. And it felt great! And boy, did those pieces look marvellous. It really helped me appreciate why owning a Cartier and Tiffany is so desirable. 

Well now, they're both back in their boxes where they will stay until some other woman who loves fine designer jewelry decides one of these is for her. They are both listed now in our RUBY LANE and RUBY PLAZA shops.  I've also been lucky to just today acquire the matching 18k Double C Diamond Cartier ring that matches that bracelet. It will be listed sometime in the next 3 -4 weeks. But what an incredibly valuable matching set that would be ie. an 18k Diamond Cartier Bangle and Ring in the tri-colored Double C motif. Gorgeous, collectible designer vintage jewelry. Watch for it!

No comments:

Post a Comment